Sunday, April 10, 2011

The journey continues.....

Week two in site was a little bit more productive than the previous week. The teachers have gone on strike nationwide which makes things a bit tricky when trying to visit schools and introduce ourselves because there is no school, but we did manage to get to one of our 26 schools monday before everything shut down. Which was awesome. the teachers were super into the project and really excited to get started. It gives these really small school pride to reach this goal. Of course we will definitely run into problems in the future but for now it was nice to get going!

The housing search has not given me much hope, but peace corps is going to come look at a room in a house on monday and see if it is acceptable for me to move into. the only problem is that in three months i am going to have to go through this process again, but i think i am moving into their living room right now and they don't want me to be there for more than three months. But vamos a ver. hopefully something else will open up! but i am very excited to be moving in with a family and getting out of the hotel. its incredibly lonely and i am excited to be able to start cooking and nesting! it will definitely make this week go by much much faster if i can focus on making my living situation better! but otherwise i am really enjoying being in Baja VeraPaz. We made it into antigua this weekend to meet up with some friends and have had a great time sitting at the top of our hostel at the terrace catching up about sites and making plans to come and visit each other. its fascinating to me that no one here will have the same peace corps experience. One of my friends doing the sustainable eco-tourism project is living in a remote aldea two hours from the closest town and she said the first week she woke up to it snowing because she is so high in altitude! they only take bucket baths once a week, but in a sauna-like building! because it is so cold there!! which is the exact opposite of my site....mid 90s everyday, palm trees, tropical fruit.....it definitely made me thankful! I never thought i would say this but.....things are so much easier for me!

my days in site are spent playing with my site-mate's puppy, meeting the town officials, talking with my site mate's host family and trying to stay cool! Maggie (my site mate) has a kiddie pool in her back yard so we spend most of our afternoons in it with her host sister splashing around! it defintiely makes things cooler! haha. we did venture to the next site over and visit with some of our friends, which was a nice because their town has these natural pools that is in a park like area! it was really funny because they have all the statues of boys peeing.....which is weird because the men here frequently urinate in public! haha

well that's about all that is going on right now....more to come on my new room and my new host-family!

1 comment:

  1. 4/15/11
    Katelyn, I just got caught up on your past few posts. I am glad to hear you are now an OFFICIAL PCV! Given your description of the ambassador's compound, you might want to see if you could arrange some R&R time there every 6 months or so. Your excitement is good to hear and I hope you are able to find more permanent housing real soon. You are obviously absorbing a lot of the sites and culture, given the commentary in your blogs, and that's great. About two weeks ago I was able to join a Returned PCV "Beer 'n Cheer" gathering at a reataurant in Asheville. Everyone there (about 12) was about my age and among us we had served in more than 6 different countries. It was fun to connect and to share some of our stories.

    Please know you remain in our prayers. We are proud of you.
    Peace,
    Bob S.

    ReplyDelete